Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Free Arts NYC!
From November to June, pairs meet for 1:1 sessions and group workshops. Some of the ways in which mentors support mentees includes resume and cover letter writing, internship applications, completion of the final project, exploration of creative interests, and creative career preparedness.
Participating students will be eligible to apply for a paid summer internship with one of our host companies.
Programming for the 2023-24 cycle will take place in a hybrid setting, with a mix of virtual and in person workshops.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 15, 2023
Mentor Responsibilities: (November 2023- June 2024)
- Commitment to the program and to mentorship
- Three group workshops over the course of the program (Saturdays)
- At least one individual meeting with your mentee per month, for at least one hour
- Maintain communication with your mentee throughout the program outside of these meetings (email, phone, texting, etc.)
- Complete online surveys
- Help teens explore their career interests, build their visual literacy skills, and grow their networks
Free Arts Provides:
- Dedicated support through periodic check-ins or as needed
- Youth Development and Program Logistics trainings
- Facilitated group workshops and career readiness curriculum
- Annual volunteer appreciation events and access to ticketed events and other art opportunities throughout NYC!
Mentor Applicant Requirements:
- Be available on occasional weekends for group workshops and events
- Experience and enthusiasm for working with teens (9th-12th graders)
- Interest in and ability to support career readiness skills and visual literacy skills.
- Fine Arts background or familiarity preferred
Application Process: Application due August 15, 2023!
- Submit Online Application
- Interview with a Free Arts staff member
- Attend our virtual Youth Development Training in August (date TBD)
- Pass Fingerprint and background check through IndentoGO
- Attend our Program Trainings in August and September
- Attend our Program Kick-Off in November
Interested, but have some questions? Reach out to [email protected].